No course-related project would be listed here because generally they are considered boring…
The list only includes services that are currently ‘online’ or have been ‘online’ in the past. A project that has never been ‘online’ is considered a failure.
This list is not exhaustive, and maybe not up-to-date
- AISDB May 2023 - Now AISDB was created to provide a complete set of tools to aid in the collection and processing of AIS (Automatic identification system) data. AISDB can be used with either live-streaming AIS or historical raw AIS data files. The core data model behind AISDB is an SQLite database, and AISDB provides a Python interface to interact with the database; from database creation, querying, data processing, visualization, and exportation of data in CSV format. AISDB also provides tools for integrating AIS with environmental data in raster file formats. For example, AISDB provides convenience functions to download ocean bathymetric chart grids which may be used to query seafloor depth beneath each surface vessel position, although any raster data using longitude/latitude coordinate grid cells may be appended. This project is funded by Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). Git Repo
- Ballast Feb 2021 - March 2023 This project is one where I am serving as a Research Assistant at Institute for Big Data Analytics, Dalhousie University. It involves building a web-based application that examines commercial shipping activities as an environmental stressor. The project involves analyzing and visualizing GIS (Geographic Information System) data. This project is supported by the Ocean and Freshwater Science Contribution Program, which is hosted by Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO).
- Transitive Halifax Jan 2020 - Jan 2021 This project is a web-based data visualization system that allows domain experts and the public to explore the functional layout of the city and people's movement based on the bus network. It provides insights into how people move around the city and interact with its various features. By leveraging data from the bus network, we can gain a better understanding of the city's transportation system and the ways in which it impacts the lives of its residents. The project involves analyzing and visualizing GIS (Geographic Information System) data. The demo of this project was published at the MDM 2021 conference. You can find the publication related to this project here. Part of this project is related to my undergraduate honor degree. Co-authors: Dr. Vinicius Monteiro de Lira, Dr. Amilcar Soares, and Dr. Fernando V. Paulovich
- Covid-19 Info Pushing Mar 2020 - Dec 2020 An Message Pushing system which designed to keep the users up-to-date with the latest number of COVID-19 infections published by the Canadian Federal Government. The system is designed to send the users real-time updates as soon as any new information becomes available. This system was designed by pushing the message via SMS, Bark, and WeChat. However, please note that as an individual project, only the development version of the services can access the API of WeChat, and therefore, for the production version of the system, only SMS and Bark channels are available for message pushing.
- ACGNPedia 2014 - 2016 An ACGN (Animation, Comics, Games, and Light Novels) information-sharing platform powered by WordPress. It was originally developed during my first year of high school as a way to connect and share information with fellow enthusiasts of ACGN content. However, due to time constraints on the part of our team, the platforms had to be closed down before I graduated from senior high school.
- Hakeyizu (哈柯一族) Jan 23, 2013 - Now An online forum dedicated to a Japanese anime “Detective Conan” (a.k.a “Case Closed”). The server and the domain name were my junior high school graduation gift. The forum is powered by Discuz!, which is an open-source internet forum framework written in PHP. A few years ago, I forgot to renew the server, and as a result, the hosting provider erased the server. Fortunately, I had a backup of the forum, which underscores the importance of regularly backing up your website (really important!!! ). I will redeploy the site once I have time, and I hope to have it up and running soon.